Wanted: a Hands-on Electromechanical Engineer. Come and join the Accelerator team in Louvain-la-Neuve.
SCK•CEN is developing the design of the multi-purpose irradiation facility MYRRHA, a flexible fast spectrum research infrastructure conceived as an Accelerator Driven System (ADS). It consists of a proton linear accelerator (linac) of 600 MeV, a spallation target and a multiplying core with nuclear fuel, cooled by liquid lead-bismuth.
According to the MYRRHA implementation plan, a 100 MeV linac will be constructed first. In a second stage it will be upgraded to 600 MeV and later connected to the MYRRHA reactor.
Within the MYRRHA Phase 1 (the “Minerva Project”), the main objectives are the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the 100 MeV proton linac, coupled to a target facility, with applications in fundamental research, in the production of medical radioisotopes and in material research for fusion.
The Accelerator Design and Test (ADT) Unit is responsible for the design, construction and commissioning of the 100 MeV superconducting linear accelerator, in close collaboration with several national and international research institutes and industrial partners.
The ADT sub-unit that is located at the Cyclotron Resource Centre (CRC/UCL) in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, is currently prototyping (installing and progressively commissioning) the injector part of the linac up to 5.9 MeV.
Job description - Electromechanical activities
As an Electromechanical Engineer (MSc in Industrial Engineering), you will be part of the ADT team having the following responsibilities:
• Design of electrical installations and/or distribution equipment (diagram, choice of components) including water cooled devices; evaluate electrical systems, products, components, and applications;
• Execute the electromechanical construction and the commissioning of power supplies and/or power converters, with power levels ranging from a few kW to several tens of kW;
• Operate and maintain electrical and mechanical installations, including their ancillaries; repair of electromechanical and power electronic devices;
• Writing technical specifications of electrical distribution equipment;
• Design and execute testing methods, relevant test programs to assure the capabilities of the components and electrical/mechanical systems and prepare product/system reports;
• Assist in identifying root causes of failures, weaknesses, and variations in injector systems and assist in developing corrective actions;
•Electromechanical Engineer (MSc in Industrial Engineering), with basic skills in power electronics;
•Relevant experience in electromechanical activities as mentioned in the job description;
•Theoretical background and capability of analyzing fundamental electrical and electronic circuits; knowledge of main components, instruments and measurement tools used in connection with electrical/electronic circuits;
•Experience with software for electrical circuit design (e.g. ePlan, Schneider, …)
•Skills in software for mechanical integration (e.g. AutoCad, SolidWorks, …)
•Good oral and written in English and French skills; knowledge of Dutch is a plus;
•Experience in working in an international environment is a plus;
•Motivated and able to organize work autonomously;
•Efficient communication skills;
•Team player and proactive attitude;
•Occasional work outside normal working hours may be requested.